Revitalizing Older Cities Congressional Task Force
Members of Congress sharing an interest in restoring prosperity to America's great historic industrial cities have created the Revitalizing Older Cities (ROC) Congressional Task Force to exchange legislative ideas and create effective policy that will lead to the rejuvenation of communities most impacted by population loss, lack of traditional employment opportunities, and overall economic disinvestment. In the fall of 2007, the Northeast-Midwest Congressional Coalition formed the task force, co-chaired by Representatives Brian Higgins (D-NY) and Mike Turner (R-OH). The ROC Congressional Task Force recognizes that the challenges facing many older industrial cities and towns are not unique to each community and that federal policy can and does impact their economic success.
The ROC Congressional Task Force is able to focus legislative attention on issues of common interest to legislators who otherwise might not join forces. Congressional task force members can share the responsibilities for sponsoring and co-sponsoring bills, reach a broader array of colleagues for support, and use their fellow task force members' positions on a wide range of committees and subcommittees with diverse jurisdictions to gain hearings for their proposed legislation, as well as possible inclusion in larger omnibus bills. Coupling this task force with informational support from Institute staff provides the in-depth policy and political expertise necessary to create a powerful engine for change.
Revitalizing Older Cities Congressional Task Force Membership as of January 2013
1. H.R.4210, Restore our Neighborhoods Act of 2012
2. H.R.2636, Neighborhood Preservation Act of 2011
3. H.R.1783, Foreclosure Fraud and Homeowner Abuse Prevention Act of 2011
4. H.R.1238, Aiding Those Facing Foreclosure Act of 2011
5. H.R.790, Community Regeneration, Sustainability, and Innovation Act of 2011
6. H.R.2655, New Markets Tax Credit Extension Act of 2011
7. H.R.2555, Historic Homeownership Revitalization Act of 2011
8. H.R.1533, Short Sea Shipping Act of 2011
9. H.R.689, 21st Century Investment Act of 2011
10. H.R.1684, Keep American Jobs from Going Down the Drain Act
11. H.R.1703, American Steel First Act of 2011
12. H.R.516, Bring Jobs Back to America Act
13. H.R.1802, Sustainable Water Infrastructure Investment Act of 2011
14. H.R.709, Urban Revitalization and Livable Communities Act
15. H.R.1636, Time for Innovation Matters in Education Act of 2011
A list of past Task Force Initiatives is available here.